I view global warming the same way many of the people
interviewed in A Burning Question do, uncertain. I know that our planet
is changing but I have to admit I have not taken much time to look into why. I unfortunately
at least used to have the mentality that too many of us do.
“It wont effect my
lifetime so why should I care?”
Watching this documentary made me realize that it is
important to be critical when fact checking and to not let the media influence
your feelings on the matter. I realized that the reason many people are so
confused on this environmental issue is a result of the use of research methods of persuasive public relations tactics by many, if not all, companies
that have been detrimental to humanities planetary sustainability. These companies
have put a definitive spin on global warming, forcing us to think that there is
nothing to worry about. Coming to this realization brought a fear I have always
had about public relations to the forefront of my mind.
“Will I act this way
if I go into the field of public relations after college?”
It is really disturbing to see that the public relations
departments of corporations like Exxon or BP seem to not follow any sort of
moral code. I, like most people, am interested in making a lot of money and
living a comfortable life with a lot of vacations and an early retirement.
However, I hope that I would not throw away my morals and personal code of
ethics to create a public image that ignores the responsibility of these guilty
corporations to enhance my personal ambitions and dreams.

No comments:
Post a Comment